Top 6 Places On My Bucketlist
There is nothing nicer or more refreshing than escaping normal life for a few weeks and enjoying a lovely little holiday. For me, an ideal holiday is a bit of relaxation and a lot of adventure. I love sitting by the beach and pool with a cocktail but I also love getting out and seeing the local sites. I've been very fortunate to have visited some amazing places but, there are so many other destinations that I would love to see. So here I have put 6 places that are at the top of my bucketlist and why!
1. Salem, Massachusetts, USA
As a practicing witch, Salem is on my bucketlist for obvious reasons. The town has turned into a major tourist destination over the years because of its grim history regarding the Salem Witch Trials.
Things to do in Salem
- Visit the Witch House - this was Judge Corrine house and is the only surviving house with a direct link to the trials.
- Go to Proctors Hill - this is the confirmed site of the witch executions.
- See the Burying Point - Salems oldest burying ground.
- Explore the House of Seven Gables - this house is the inspiration for the famous Nathaniel Hawthorne book and is also the oldest surviving wooden mansion in Salem.
2. Hawaii , USA
I mean, Hawaii is quite an obvious one, being in the top ten of many explorers bucketlist. The island is surrounded by pure, natural beauty and and is just an all around tropical paradise, with so much to see and do!
Things to do in Hawaii
- Go to Punalu'u Black Sand Beach - this is a beach made up of black sand as a result of lava cooling instantly on impact with the ocean. This beach is also popular with sea turtles (bonus!).
- Visit the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park- this park is home to two active volcanoes, Kilauea and Mauna Loa. Hiking this national park will Give you the opportunity to see an actual lava flow (kinda awesome, kinda scary).
- Hike at Waimea Canyon State Park - often referred to as the Grand Canyon of Hawaii, arriving at the top will give you amazing views of the beautiful island below. It's also home to the stunning Waipoo Falls, which is definitely worth a visit.
- Explore the ancient temple of Ahu'ena Heiau - this temple was built in the 15th century and serves as a sacrificial temple and also a spiritual centre.
3. Tulum, Mexico
Tulum is another place that is celebrated for its natural beauty and also its historical sites. It's a magical oceanfront town in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. Eith everything from stunning beaches to natural pools to Mayan ruins, Tulum looks like the place to be.
Things To Do in Tulum
- Swim in the natural cenodes - cenodes are natural pools as a result of limestone sinkholes that have been filled with freshwater
- Explore the ancient Mayan Ruins - there are so many archaeological sites in Tulum, one of them being the only oceanfront Mayan ruin site.
- Visit Sian Ka'an Reserve - this is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is home to a variety of different species (crocodiles, birds, monkeys) and also many archaeological sites.
Iceland is another destination that's on many people's bucketlist. It's a country of unspoilt nature with amazing landscapes, natural wonder and breathtaking beauty. Iceland has something for everyone!
Things to do in Iceland
- Go to the black beaches of Vík í Myrdal - these beaches are much like the one in Hawaii. However these volcanic beaches are definitely worth a visit!
- Visit the Blue Lagoon - this is a geothermal heated pool that was created in 1976 by a geothermal power plant.
- See the Northern Lights - a trip to Iceland wouldn't be complete with out going to see the Nothern Lights.
India, in my opinion, is definitely a must! It's an amazing country, full of amazing monuments, food, music and most of all people. Everyone that's visited India that I've spoken to have all said the same thing, it was the best experience of their life.
Things to do in India
- Visit the Taj Mahal - this marble palace is one of the most well known buildings worldwide, and is also one of the seven wonders of the world.
- Explore the Temples of Khajuro - these are a group of temples in Madhya Pradesh, which are home to some sexy sculptures. Also known as the Kama Sutra temples.
- See the Ellora and Ajnta caves - thought to be the most beautiful caves in India and are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit the Lotus Temple - this temple is constructed in the shape of a lotus flower and its 27 petals are made out of pure marble.
Thailand is one of those countries that just has everything for everyone, from picturesque beaches and ocean to green jungles and mountains to bustling city life. With so many islands, temples and even elephant sanctuaries, Thailand is a very popular tourist destination!
Things to do in Thailand
- Visit the Golden Triangle - where Burma, Laos and Thailand meet. You can see all three countries in the distance.
- Go island hopping - there are so many beautiful islands in Thailand to visit and you can travel by longboat to each one.
- Visit an elephant sanctuary - I love elephants, they are by far my favourite animals. There are so many elephant sanctuaries in Thailand that a visit to one is a definite must!
- Kanchnaburi - this is an area of untouched, lush forest in the Kanchnaburi province. This is where the Death Railway started during World War 2.