The 6 Most Popular Tarot Spreads
Tarot spreads are a major part of tarot reading and, in my opinion, are essential for an in-depth reading. When you first start reading tarot cards, spreads can be slightly intimidating and overwhelming. There are so many different spreads to choose from that sometimes it's difficult to know which one is for you. If you are a beginner to tarot, I would suggest that you skip out on tarot spreads completely and work on familiarising yourself with the cards first. You can do this by pulling one card out of your deck each day and learning the meanings and practising your intuition with this card. Only start with spreads when you feel as if you're ready.
As I said, there are so many different spreads out there to choose from, and because of this you will always find one to suit yourself and your questions. The beauty of tarot spreads is that they are not set in stone. They can always be adapted to fit your style of reading or the questions that you need answering. When you become more advanced with tarot, you may often find yourself using spreads as a template to creating your own tarot spread.
I often get asked what the most commonly used tarot spreads are, so I decided to put together a list of the six most popular tarot spreads and how they work.
1. Past, Present, Future
The Past, Present, Future tarot spread is the most simple of all spreads, simply because, it's a three card spread. Three cards and that's all that you need. Three card spreads are perfect for beginners because they're so basic, and basic is always good!
This tarot spread is a powerful and dynamic spread, and is one of my personal favourites! It will allow you more insight into your past, present and future energies and things that may be holding you back or pushing you forward. The Past, Present, Future tarot spread is the quickest and simplest way to get the answer to any questions that you may have about your life.
- Past - This card will show you past events, memories, emotions or even people that are still having an affect over your life. This good be either a good or bad influence. This card will give you insight on what aspect of your past needs to be resolved or called upon.
- Present - This card will show your current situation and the things that are influencing your life right now. This could give you more insight into how your past has affected your present.
- Future - This card suggests the outcome of your current situation and how it will all pan out in the future. The Future card is based on your present and shows the outcome that will come if you carry on doing things the way that you currently are.
2. Week Ahead
The Week Ahead tarot spread is an eight card spread that will outline each day of the week and outline the week as a whole. This is a good spread if you want an idea of how your week will turn out and how you should appropriately approach anything that comes up during the week. An eight card spread can seem a little overwhelming because it's a lot of cards, but this one is very simple to follow and easy to carry out.
- Monday - This card will show you any themes or issues that may pop up on this day.
- Tuesday - This card will show you any themes or issues that may pop up on this day.
- Wednesday - This card will show you any themes or issues that may pop up on this day.
- Thursday - This card will show you any themes or issues that may pop up on this day.
- Friday - This card will show you any themes or issues that may pop up on this day.
- Saturday - This card will show you any themes or issues that may pop up on this day.
- Sunday - This card will show you any themes or issues that may pop up on this day.
- Overall - This card will outline the week as a whole and will show the major theme or issues of the week.
3. Month Ahead
The Month Ahead tarot spread is another easy and manageable tarot spread as you will only deal with five cards. This spread is more effective when used at the beginning of the month as it will outline every week of your month and the month as a whole. This will help you to identify any problems before they rear their head and will advise you on how to deal with any situation that you may find yourself in during the month.
- Week One - This card will show you any themes or issues that may occur during this week.
- Week Two - This card will show you any themes or issues that may occur during this week.
- Week Three - This card will show you any themes or issues that may occur during this week.
- Week Four - This card will show you any themes or issues that may occur during this week.
- Overall - This card will outline the month as a whole and will show the major themes or issues of the month.
The Relationship tarot spread is, unsurprisingly, a very popular seven card spread that will outline your relationship and where it's heading. It should come as no surprise that a relationship spread is a popular one as everyone wants to know where their relationship is going and if it's going to work or not. This spread will show not just your side of the relationship, but also your partners side of the relationship and will outline any issues or break downs in your relationship.
- You - This card will outline your thoughts and feelings of your relationship.
- Partner - This card will outline your partners thoughts and feelings of your relationship.
- Connection - This card will outline your overall connection and what brings you together.
- Strength - This card will outline what makes your relationship good.
- Weakness - This card will outline any issues in your relationship.
- Action - This card will tell you what action needs to be taken in order to keep your relationship strong.
- Outcome - This card will suggest the fate of your relationship if changes are not made.
5. Advice & Guidance
The Advice & Guidance tarot spread is a popular six card spread that can be used when you are faced with a situation and are unsure of how to approach and deal with it. Obstacles are a sure thing in life and can either make or break us, but it's not always easy to know how to deal with them accordingly. This spread will help you to understand the situation better and will advise you in taking the necessary steps in order to face your bump in the road successfully.
- The Situation - This card will show you the situation for what it is and will help you to understand what caused it and why it happened.
- Necessary Action - This card will suggest the action that you must take in order to overcome this obstacle and find a solution.
- Control - This card will tell you what you can and can't control during this situation. This will give you a better idea on what to concentrate on during this time.
- Lesson Learned - This card will show you the reason for the situation and what you need to learn from it in order to grow.
- Best Way Forward - This card will show you the best possible way to move on from this situation and will elaborate on your needed action.
- Outcome - This card will show you the short-term outcome to the solution of your situation and will give you an idea of how it will all turn out.
6. Celtic Cross
The Celtic Cross tarot spread is the most known tarot spread and is a favourite among many tarot readers. This is a very complex spread and is not suggested for beginners as it is a ten card spread with a lot of information to digest. This spread will give you an extremely in depth answer to your question and is very insightful and helpful towards your situation. The Celtic Cross covers all aspects of your life and shows both internal and external factors to your situation.
- Present - This card outlines your present situation and your reaction to it.
- Challenge - This card represents the challenges or problems that you are facing at this time.
- Past - This card outlines past events that have helped to shape your current situation.
- Future - This card suggests what will happen in your short-term future.
- Best Outcome - This card suggests the best outcome in regard to your current situation.
- Subconscious Influences - This card represents your subconscious and reveals your underlying feelings to the situation.
- Advice - This card suggests the steps you must take to overcome this situation.
- External Influences - This card will outline any external factors to your situation e.g. people, events.
- Hopes & Fears - This card will outline any hopes and fears that you may have about your current situation.
- Outcome - This card represents where your situation is leading you and suggests a possible outcome when the situation passes.
If you want to learn more about performing a tarot reading, check out my post Prepare For A Tarot Reading In Just 7 Steps.
If you're interested in receiving a tarot reading from myself, please visit my shop or contact me here.
Comment below and let me know what your favourite tarot spreads are and share your experiences with tarot spreads during your own readings.